4 Tips to Demystifying SEO
What is SEO?
SEO or Search Engine Optimisation are best practices for increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to your website through organic traffic.
What do I mean by quality of traffic?
It’s no use if people are clicking on your site because they want to learn about Python coding but you sell accessories for snakes.
Here are 4 tips to improving your rankings with the Google search algorithm.
1. Conduct a thorough SEO audit
An audit of your website and its contents can help highlight website performance issues as well as things that may be hindering your organic search visibility
- Google Search Console. If you don’t have this set up, you won’t be able to determine if Google is having difficulty crawling and indexing your site.
- Toxic Links. While link building is essential, having too many linking to spam sites or sites that are only for the purpose of link building can create problems.
- Broken Links and Redirects. If you have several 301 redirects or broken links, search engines will rate your site lower.
- Performance. Search engines heavily weigh website performance and site speed when rating sites. If your site has outdated plugins or too many plugins that are clashing, or if the images on your site are too large, it can slow down performance speed.
- Mobile-Friendly. If your site isn’t mobile-friendly or responsive, it’s time to consider investing in a new website. Not only is it bad for SEO, it is also difficult for users to use.
- NAP Profiles. If name, address, phone number (NAP) profiles are not consistent across all Google searches with the information on your site, it can impact your results.
- Cannibalization. Keyword cannibalization occurs when you split content across two pages that should be on one page. Google looks at two pages with similar content and determines which one it thinks should rank higher. When you spread information across two pages instead of focusing on one high-quality content page, it can be a detriment to your rankings.
Using the right keywords is an effective way to get your company’s site to rank high. However, you need to implement a strong content strategy that highlights the following:
- Primary Pages. Primary pages should target primary keywords that contain high-value words that relate directly to your services and areas of expertise.
- Secondary Pages. These pages should include keywords that relate to your services.
- Tertiary Pages. These types of content pages include long-tail keywords. These types of keywords are 3 to 4-word phrases.
Respond to all reviews, promptly; whether it’s positive or negative. Clients heavily rely on online reviews when selecting service providers. Google weighs reviews, making is essential to
respond to any left on Google. Remember to answer all reviews, though, including those on Yelp, Amazon, etc.
Having a strong email campaign helps businesses improve their website traffic. Here are the top email campaigns to consider:
- Lead Magnet. Give away something that id free for you, but is helpful for your clientele; such as an eBook.
- New Leads. If you want a new lead to become familiar with your company and your processes, create a video about how to hire a business like yours.
- Capture Reviews. Take advantage of past clients, ask them for a review. Positive reviews can drive even more traffic to your site.
Now that you have the basic tools and knowledge, you can start to make your site seen