Google – What you might not know!
We all use Google every single day, but there are some things you might not know;
- The early version of Google could process 30 – 50 pages per second, now it can process millions of pages per second.
- Google’s original name was Backrub.
- The founders originally wanted to sell Google, and they offered Yahoo to buy it for 30 Billion Rand. Now, Google is worth around 5 Trillion rand.
- You could originally only search by pressing the Return (Enter) key, because the founders didn’t know html to insert a “Submit” button.
- Google rents 200 goats to “mow” the weeds around the headquarters.
- Type “Atari Breakout” in Google Images and well, enjoy!
- 16% of Google Searches are searches that Google have never had before.
- The “I’m feeling Lucky” button costs Google around 1 Billion rand per year, as it bypasses all ads.
- Every minute, 2 million searches are performed on Google.
- Gmail was launched on the 1st of April, 2004 – Many people thought that it was an April Fools joke.
- On April Fool’s day of 2007, Google sent an e-mail out to its employees warning that a python was loose in the facilities. It wasn’t a joke.
- Google got its name by accident. The founders misspelled “googol”, which refers to the number 1 followed by 100 zeroes.
- On August 16, 2013, Google went down for 5 minutes and in that time, the global Internet traffic dropped by 40%.
- A single Google search requires more computing power than it took to send Apollo 11 to the Moon.
- Google.com/Weddings is a little known free service to plan your wedding.